Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Old Moon Zinfandel 2010

Well, I had to try it. One of the most popular wines that Trader Joe's sells. Everyone buys it. What did I think? It's $5 and only slightly representable of the varietal. I'd rather spend $10 on the Bogle Zin. Don't get me wrong, it's totally drinkable, I just prefer a bigger, bolder, spicier zin.

2010 California
Alcohol 14.0%
$4.99
Vinted and bottled by Trader Moon wine company, Manteca, CA

Nose of: Oak, cherry, plum, cherry wood and subtly spiced vanilla.

Flavors of:  Tart cherry, ripe black cherry, watermelon and blackberry.

This wine has mild tannins mid pallet that round out nicely with a cherry vanilla finish.
It's a great value for an old vine zin, but it's not spicy and has only very mild tannins.
However it's drinkable and I'm sure I wouldn't mind it after a nicer first bottle.

3out of 10 stars (because it's not a good representative of the zinfandel varietal)

No comments:

Post a Comment